Student Development: Postsecondary Outreach
EPSCoR supports initiatives that encourage college students to select and ultimately remain in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) fields. Recruitment and retention of postsecondary students in STEM fields are vital to building the human research infrastructure in Oklahoma.
Retention rates of outstanding STEM students in Oklahoma are increased through support of programs that promote early student participation in the university and STEM research community. These programs include travel to meetings, academic tutoring and mentoring, workshops, research experiences and EPSCoR-sponsored conferences and events.
Additionally, the EPSCoR program has made a strong commitment to serve Oklahoma’s Native American population and other underrepresented groups in the state, including women, African Americans and persons with disabilities. EPSCoR initiatives are geared toward the removal of existing barriers that prevent recruitment, retention and graduation of these populations that are not well-represented in STEM fields. The program seeks to contribute to the success of these individuals, while remaining culturally sensitive.
Chancellor Glen D. Johnson recently spoke to EPSCoR State Conference attendees about the status of higher education in Oklahoma. Click here to view the presentation.
To find out more about postsecondary outreach programs offered by EPSCoR, contact Gina Miller, outreach coordinator at 405.744.7645 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may access the outreach program brochure here.
- Geospatial Summer Fellowship and Symposium Program
- Information Technology Mentorship Program
- Jump Start RISE (Retention Initiative Student Excellence)
- Oklahoma Research Day for Regional Universities
- Research Day at the Capitol
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU)
- Summer Hydrological Science Internships
- Summer Research Experiences for Regional and Tribal College Students
- Supercomputing Workshops and Symposia
- Supplemental Instruction Program at Langston University
- Tribal College Outreach
- Travel for Students to Professional Meetings